I told you a while back that I proposed a panel for SXSW Interactive 2008 called Pink Ghetto Blasters: Destigmatizing Sex via Online Community Building. The panel would include Chris Hall, Lux Nightmare, Violet Blue, and Rachel Kramer Bussel as panel members with me moderating. Voting ends at 11:59pm central time.
One of the principles behind Sex in the Public Square is that by putting the sexual aspects of our lives off-limits and keeping discussion of them “private,” we lose a valuable component of democracy. The category “NSFW” diminishes us as individuals and as a society because large chunks of both are kept in the closet. In short, we’re all about busting the Pink Ghetto, and this panel is a great way to get some of the sharpest minds in the field together to get beyond the basics and into the practical matters of what the real implications of fencing sex off from the rest of society are. This is a great opportunity for us, and we hope that as many of you as possible will give us your support.
If you have voted yet, please do! Click here for our panel’s page.
While you’re voting, consider these panels too. I’d love to see them make the cut!
- Violet Blue’s Sexual Privacy Online
- Lisa Vandever’s The Porn Police: Know the rules
- Cory Silverberg’s The Future of Sex in Interactive Narrative and also When No means 01001: Sexual Ethics and Interactivity
- George DeMet’s Content Management System Roundup
- Erin Denny’s Sex, Trees and Gun Control: Cause-related movement building